Penzance retailers embraced the national campaign for a #PlasticFreeJuly. Shops shared the hashtag on their social media channels and highlighted the plastic free products they sell.
The town continues its pledge against single use plastics. Many businesses across town have achieved the ‘Surfers Against Sewage’ plastic free approved status by uniting against straws, bottles and disposable/ single use packaging.
In fact it is thanks to all of these businesses being so proactive that Penzance was the first ‘plastic free town’ in the UK. They achieved this status in December and walking around the town it’s clear that this community is very passionate about protecting their coastline and the environment.
Highlights from Penzance:
- An article in The Guardian celebrating Penzance being the first ‘plastic free town’ featuring local businesses; Pure Nuff Stuff and The Honey Pot
- #WDYT sharing wonderful high street finds, including a fabulous collection showcasing some of the inspiring plastic free options Penzance independent retailers have to offer.
- Discovering a new small but ever so stylish Independent End Paper on Chapel Street. They stock so
many beautiful things including beautiful rope bowls.
- Pure Nuff Stuff and all their plastic free products. They make it easier for shoppers in Penzance to make the switch to more environmentally friendly options, from plastic free dental floss to biodegradable glitter.
- Hobbs Kitchen Shop and Number 36 offering some wonderful reusable cup options. These include a drinks pod with screw on lid and collapsible drinks bottles.
- The Honey Pot Cafe has strong green credentials, including local produce and flowers, biodegradable packaging and reusable cup schemes.
#WDYT is all about sharing the great things on offer via social media, helping retailers reach more people to showcase the wonderful things they offer and maximising both the town’s and individual retailers digital influence.
Penzance’s retailers and shoppers have embraced #WDYT. They are part of a growing #WDYT National Campaign that is helping high streets increase their footfall through digital activity. All this social activity means Penzance is currently at #81 overall in the UK out of 1314 towns and cities, moving up 11 places this week, well done Penzance!
So shoppers and retailers alike, keep sharing the great things on offer in Penzance, tagging #WDYT #Penzance.